The ©POLAND Translation Program is designed for the use of foreign publishers.
The purpose of the program is to support the translation and publication of Polish literature in other languages.
• fiction and poetry
• broadly conceived humanities (with particular emphasis on Polish history and culture)
• literature for children and young adults
• non-fiction (literary reportage, biography, memoirs, essays)
The program may cover
1. up to 100 % of the translation cost
2. up to 100 % of the cost of the acquisition of rights
3. up to 50% of the printing costs – only in the case of children’s picture books, comic books and graphic novels
Application periods and grant decisions
1st application period: 1 January - 31 March – results to be announced on 1 June
2nd application period: 1 September – 30 November – results to be announced on 28 February
How to apply
The publisher is required to submit an online application form supported by the following attachments:
• a copy of the rights agreement
• a copy of the contract with the translator
• a bibliography of the translator's work
• general information about the publisher (publishing profile, list of titles, current catalogue)
Payment and monitoring of the grants
• grant decisions will be published on the Institute’s website on 1 June (for the first application period) and on 28 February (for the second application period)
• applicants will be informed about grant decisions by email
• successful publishers will receive a contract which must be signed and returned by post
• grants are valid for 24 months from the date of the contract between the publisher and the Institute
• published books must credit the financial contribution of the Polish Book institute and include its logo (as specified in the contract)
• the publisher must send 10 copies of the translated book to the Institute immediately after publication
• the grant will be paid into the publisher’s bank account as specified in the contract between the publisher and the Institute within 30 days of the date on which the publisher provides the Institute with 10 copies of the book
• IMPORTANT: upon receipt of the grant the publisher will have 30 days to provide the Institute with a signed declaration from the translator and the rights holder, confirming that full payment (of the fees agreed in the translation and rights contracts) has been received.
In the case of printing grants, the publisher will be asked to provide a copy of the printers’ invoice as well as confirmation of payment
Submissions are evaluated by a group of experts. The final decision is made by the Director of the Polish Book Institute. We regret that reasons for individual grant decisions cannot be supplied.
For further information please contact:
tel.: (+48-12) 61 71 921